Our Vision & Aims
"Breathing new life into an ancient landform"
Our vision is to restore the natural and cultural landscapes of Motutapu.
- The natural landscape similar to that which existed on Motutapu after the Rangitoto eruption around 600 years ago.
- The cultural landscape handed down by Maori, early settlers, farming and the military.
We are in the process of :
- Restoring native ecosystems
- Replanting several hundred hectares in native forest
- Collecting and propagating seeds from indigenous plant stock
- Protecting the growing volunteer forest from plant pests
- Re-introducing threatened species of plants, birds, reptiles and invertebrates
- Providing opportunities for volunteers to experience hands on conservation
- Encouraging links with the wider Auckland community
- Protecting and conserving the WWII gun emplacements and military sites
- Developing the restored Reid Homestead as an interpretative visitor centre
- Re-establishing Maori links with Motutapu through cultural activities
- Protecting and interpreting the archaeological sites on the island
- Facilitating life-long learning for all ages